Theres no shortage of skin and hair care products or services that promise everything from a healthy glow to erasing years from your true age. While its true that many of these solutions visibly improve the look of skin and hair and many dont researchers are close to unanimous on a few basic, inexpensive and not-so-secret tips that delay natural aging.
Protect your skin from the sun and your hair from the heat.
Our bodies need the sun to generate Vitamin D and keep us healthy but excess exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can lead to wrinkles, age spots, other discolorations and, of course, skin cancer:
- Remember to apply sunscreen when youre outside, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF of 15 or more, and apply at least every two hours.
- Stay in the shade late morning and most of the afternoon are when the suns rays are strongest and most harmful.
- Layer on clothing whenever possible, wear long-sleeved shirts, pants and hats. There are now even laundry additives and specially designed clothing that can block harmful UV light.
When it comes to your hair, remember to condition the ends every other day and avoid using the hottest hair dryer setting. Overheating can damage strands and make them more brittle.
Cigarette, cigar and pipe smoke doesnt just destroy your lungs. It ages the skin by narrowing blood vessels and depleting oxygen and nutrients, damaging the skins strength and elasticity, and making hair dull and prone to breakage. While skin damage is largely irreversible (damage to the lungs can be reversed), quitting now can also avoid inflicting smoke damage on those around you.
A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and protein isnt just healthy for your insides, its vital for your skin and hair as well. Some research suggests a diet high in Vitamin C and low in saturated fats and processed carbohydrates may preserve the look of younger skin. Its also believed that Omega-3-rich foods like salmon or walnuts can keep your scalp and hair healthy. Other factors, like a strict low-calorie diet, severe illness or infections, and fluctuating hormone levels can cause hair loss.
The thickness of your skin varies from 1/500th of an inch on your eyelids to 1/5 of an inch on your back in other words its extremely thin and delicate and important to treat with care:
- Baths and showers prolonged contact with hot water strips your skin of protective oils. Keep baths and showers short and the water warm.
- Shaving with care lubricate your skin by applying shaving cream or gel before you shave, and always use a sharp razor.
- Pat, dont rub dry yourself carefully when you step out of the shower. Rubbing too hard can strip oils that keep your skin moist.
- Moisturize keep your skin moisturized and consider cream that contains SPF. Pay attention to dry areas like hands and heels.
And for your hair, remember its most fragile when its wet, so dont brush until its mostly dry. When you do, use a natural-bristle brush its softer, which means youre less likely to inflict damage on your locks.
Sometimes its not easy to control the stress that can overtake our lives. But prolonged stressful situations can age the skin or result in acne or psoriasis. As well, significant stress can lead to hair loss, often months after a stressful event. Consider ways to reduce stress, from avoiding stressful situations to creating times and places where you can disconnect and relax.
What are your secrets to keeping your skin and hair young and healthy looking? Drop us a comment below and send us your suggestions!
10 thoughts on “The Outer Layer: Secrets To Keeping Your Skin and Hair Healthy”
This is great info wonderful information very easy read.
Who would have thought so much to think about
Can’t wait to share
Send me a pamphlet and brochures on hair loss.
Not ashamed to share our replies…we are PROUD TO BE AMERICANS!!!
Aging is a cruel joke on women
Why is it a Man can turn 50??? And look absolutely almost the same?
I look likr a truck hit me. But as we all know. Men have thicker stronger epidermis. Also bu shaving
They are constantly exfoliating. Hmmm
Maybe us Ladies should start.
As far as the outside layer of the cortex. No matter how hot or even sweaty. Its good for your hair not to be washed daily. There is a lot of great new products to freshen the hair and take some of the oil away
It’s true we need that natural oil in our hair. I now wash my hair 3 times a week and get more compliments now than I did when I was much younger ?
I just did a chemical peel here in the hottest. Most sunniest place in the states . las Vegas. Should have paind a psychiatrist!! Lol
Comments are closed.